The heart of Tuscany is the ideal destination for a regenerating holiday of spirituality and meditation.
Through a journey our feet learn to form their own paths and our hearts start beating at a different rate. The more time we spend away from familiar routines, the more we learn to relax and indulge in new experiences.
In this particular moment of the world in which we find ourselves, contrasting feelings move in and around us. After the lockdown and phase one, we have arrived at phase two, a time that seems, in some ways, even more disorienting: we are still in an emergency, the old things have changed, the new ones are still largely unknown.
What are the tones of the time now? We look around and see autumn in the Crete Senesi. The green that mingles with the yellow in the leaves; their falling giving way to something new but meanwhile they settle on the ground. A dynamic transformation that reaches all our senses.
Perhaps right now it makes even more sense to try to walk our paths in the beauty that surrounds us, to continue on and to build hope. Green and yellow give us blue and in autumn the blue returns to the sky.
Here in our Podere Salicotto farmhouse you are immersed in the silence of nature and you can admire the suggestive views as far as Siena to the west, Montalcino and Monte Amiata to the south, and the small village of Chiusure to the north-east.
The quiet beauty of nature and the kindness of our Team with Patrick, Maria & Antonio allow travelers to find the right dimension to enjoy moments of well-deserved serenity.
Our tips for a regenerating weekend
For a long weekend we suggest starting with these 2 drives, simple and gorgeous, with stops to discover the local treasures. In itinerary no. 2 we recommend a beautiful walk as well.
Itinerary no. 1 is in the Crete Senesi
A lunar landscape of rare beauty. The contrast between the ochre of the burnt clay and the blue of the sky, infinite fields of wheat that sway in the wind, green rows of cypresses, each tile of a chromatic mosaic, precious and protected. A spiritual journey, in silence and tranquility, to discover small villages and their treasures.
Podere Salicotto – Abbey of M. Oliveto Maggiore (11 km) – Transiente Site of J.P.Philippe (21 km) – Siena (19 km) – Podere Salicotto (directly on the Via Cassia, 27 km)
- Stop your car and sit on one of the benches on the way to the Abbey to take pictures and breathe in the beauty. Monte Oliveto is in the middle of a wood of cypresses in a spectacular valley. Visit the Abbey and make sure not to miss the library of ancient books, the antique pharmacy and the shop with liqueurs and other products made by the resident monks.
- Picnic at the Site Transitoire. We will be happy to prepare you a tasty packed lunch with a good bottle of house red wine, one cover (if winter) and a picnic blanket to lie down outdoors in the midst of the extraordinary scenery.
- A break in Siena at the Tea Room in Via Porta Giustizia, 11: an excellent selection of teas from all over the world and fantastic cakes in a warm and welcoming setting. The return from Siena on the Via Cassia brings you back directly to Podere Salicotto (27 km)
Itinerary no. 2 is in the Val d’Orcia
Recognized as a World Heritage Site by Unesco. Austerity and simplicity, places of the soul, enchanted and enchanting, quiet beauty in a great atmosphere. The balance is perfect. Recommended walk from Bagno Vignoni to Vignoni Alto. if you like the idea 🙂
Podere Salicotto – Bagno Vignoni (25 km) – Vignoni Alto (3.4 km) – Montalcino(16 km) – Abbey of S.Antimo (9.8 km) – Poggio alle Mura (23 km) – Podere Salicotto (30 km)
- Walk from Bagno Vignoni to Vignoni Alto and back for an immersion in the Val D’Orcia: 38 min 2.3 km (one way).
- Walk in Montalcino, between the Fortress, the Bishop’s Palace and the churches of Saint Agostino, Saint Egidio and San Francesco.
- Picnic at the Abbey of S. Antimo. We will be happy to prepare you a tasty packed lunch with a good bottle of house red wine, a cover (in winter) and a picnic blanket to enjoy lying on the lawn among the olive trees in an atmosphere of immense spirituality
- Visit the Bottle and Glass Museum inside the fourteenth century Castle of Poggio alle Mura
In the area there are excellent trattorias and typical restaurants. We will be happy to share many other tips in the next articles. Have a good week!